Friday, December 23, 2011

Merry Christmas

Well people, it's that time of the year. Or rather, it's been that time of the year for a month now. We have a sort of love/hate relationship with Christmas too. It can actually require some effort to get through your standard Christmas holidays, both for adults and kids. For us grown ups, it's a time when work (or school) is intensified, lots of projects has to be finished. Then there's the expectations others have from us. For many it's the only time they see the extended family, and that's usually a good thing - both to see people you're related to, and that it's an entire year until next time. For kids, it's just a massive surge of emotions - combined with a lack of restraint. If I base my knowledge of how kids behave on Christmas on my nephew, I'd say this is very accurate. But then again he's a very good kid who rarely exhibits unnecessary greed you often assume kids have during the holidays.


In the past, Christmas has always been about two things: Good food, and cool toys. Hey, what did you expect? I doubt I get any toys for Christmas this year, and I haven't treated myself to any either. But I got home my collection of G.I. Joe collection from the museum, toys I haven't really seen for two years. So I guess that's almost filling the "toy" part of my expected Christmas. I also took the liberty of giving nisseluer (santa hats) to Jetfire and Snake Eyes.

Food wise, I can expect something that follows tradition. I will celebrate with my family, and we have usually always had reindeer steak on Christmas eve, with lemon fromage for dessert. Pork ribs on Christmas day, most likely with chocolate mousse for dessert. The picture to the right is from an earlier year.
I've continued to make confect, with varying degree of success. I will post something about this at a later point.

To all who read this, I hope you are able to relax, and be with good people during the holidays. I honestly believe that the most important aspect of the holidays is to recharge for the next year, and the second most important thing is to be with people you like. Anything else like great food and drink, entertaining presents should be considered a bonus.

I will probably not be posting until January 2nd, as I'm going to visit friends, and hopefully find a mountain to descend. I may see if I post some pictures of varying holiday meals, but I'm not sure how interesting it will be without any related recipes.


Have a good holiday, people! Be safe, relax, enjoy your time family and friends.

No comments: