Monday, April 30, 2012

Boiled Egg, but maybe not the way you would expect...

My very first blog post on Toys and Bacon was instructions on how to boil an egg. Yes, I know. It's basic knowledge. But we're in an agreement that this blog is about something more than just "how to make food". In some ways, it's a personal diary. In other ways, it's about the pictures I take. And I also hope that the words I'm writing, the stories I tell are of some interest.


I have since come to realize that I really like eggs, and it's one of the ingredients I find myself using the most.

So when I heard of this amusing way of boiling an egg, I had to try for my self. It's basically boiling an egg without its shell. It's not the poached egg, all though I can do an article on poached eggs on Wednesday. This is something slightly different.

Read on!



I like the idea of customizing the egg, but unless you plan on limiting yourself to the color of the shell, there isn't really a lot to do with a boiled egg. The shell will prevent any tampering with color and taste. So we're removing the shell from the equation.
But we're not making poached egg. We want to contain the egg, and as much as possible try to maintain the shape of an egg.
We're going to use plastic foil, as you can see in the picture.


Crack the shell, empty the egg into the foil. Add spices, sauces, anything you want. The opportunities are endless. I used salt, pepper, Tabasco.


Dip the foiled egg into boiling water, either use wire, clips or something to seal it, or just hold it there, like I did. It boiled for something like 5 minutes.


I can imagine this goes well with tapas, small meals. And you know, you can customize it to your liking. Add vanilla sugar and chocolate, just as an experiment? What's the worst that could happen?


Enjoy!

1 comment:

liam @ the low carb recipes said...

Saw these on reddit and I have to say its a great idea! Next time I boil and egg i will give it ago