Wednesday, October 10, 2012

How to Display Toys cont.

Well, as I'm moving to a bigger place, I'm also faced with a problem. How to display my toys. Obviously I can't find room for all of them in the open. And while I have a lot more room to fill now, I still can't have for instance massive glass displays like the museum that borrowed my G.I. Joe collection.

I'm definitely going to pick up a few Ikea Detolf - the universally accepted go-to cabinet for anything collectible. I've shown how delicate it can be done, while still filling them to the brim with toys.

But I also had the idea of displaying my toys in a really classy fashion. Think cabinets where you would find expensive china and lead crystal glasses. Except it's filled with Transformers and Masters of the Universe.


And the first step towards something like that was obtaining the coffee table Liatorp, also from Ikea.
I've seen this been used in similar way, with anything from the more safe items like colorful stones and coffee-table books to actual interesting items like watches and archaeological artifacts. I wouldn't mind having watches in one of the compartments myself, but my collection of time pieces is tiny.

I'm definitely not done putting toys inside it, and as you can see, I still have spare compartments. But you may get the idea. What do you think?


Ikea's Liatorp series also contains a gorgeous bookshelf/cabinet that would suffice for the bigger robots and assembled Lego sets. But when I can get 6-7 Detolf for the same price, it's difficult to justify.

Anyway, this is a good start, I'm enjoying this way of displaying toys, instead of how it used to be, collecting dust on a shelf.

No comments: