Friday, January 4, 2013

Fantrstic 4 trading cards

That's not a typo in the title, by the way. One of my young students brought me a gift back from a holiday trip in the Canary Islands. Tenerife is particularly well known for having an abundance of knock off items. You can buy counterfeit anything for almost nothing by just walking on the beach.
Me myself bought a real Rolex for $9, last time I visited the island with the lonely mountain.

This student shares my interest for superheroes, and recognized the ridiculousness of this KO item: Fantastic 4 trading cards, with a Sue Storm keychain.

Fantrstic 4 "game" cards

The cards look delightfully home-made, complete with shoddy lamination and spelling errors. Notice the weird code below the logo.
The outside of the pack said "game cards", but I'm not sure how this game would be played. There is no information about the persons pictured on the individual cards, and the packs seemed to contain a mix between promotional pictures from both movies, and artwork from the comic around the same time. I do like the artwork by Mike McKone, who did an awesome run on the re-made Teen Titans from 2003.


The key chain is obviously the star price. It's just the right amount of hilariously awful, and is a prime example of why I adore knock off products. Is Sue concealing something behind extreme make up? Is she wearing sunglasses? Or is she just missing her eyes? I don't know, but I do like this silly gift, and the way it's presented.
Enjoy your weekend.

No comments: